If you get tired of spending time with the family (or if you want, you can bring them too!), WHOlanta will be at Regal Cinemas Hollywood 24 @ North I-85 for a screening of the Doctor Who Christmas Special on Tuesday, December 27th. Trivia and prize giveaways will be at 6:30PM and the showing begins at 7PM. Hope to see you guys there!
Purchase you tickets here
Tell us you’re coming here
Welcome to our first annual WHOlanta Holiday Buying Guide. Not only will we tell you all the cool stuff that’s out this holiday season, but we’ll also try to tell you the best places to buy them for the best price. (Note: all prices listed are current as of the posting but because it’s on the internet, prices are subject to change. That doesn’t make the item any less cool).
Click on any of the photos to view in slideshow format.
Doctor Who 365 – $16-$20. Have you ever wanted to know what Doctor Who related events happened on a certain day? Well look no further because this book will tell you! http://amzn.to/2h3cjJM
Doctor Who Trivial Pursuit $12-$20. Have a Doctor Who friend that’s a know-it-all? Well test their knowledge. This set does skew more toward New Who but it’s still fun to play regardless. http://amzn.to/2gCwnSE
Doctor Who Throw – $10-$30. Measures 50″ x 89″. Super Soft. I’ve seen these on clearance at GameStop for $9.99 or $14.99.
20Q Doctor Who – $25. I just discovered this last night but now I can’t help but want to buy it (hint hint for someone buying me a Christmas gift). It’s the classic 20 questions electronic game, except with Doctor Who related planets, people, and other things. http://amzn.to/2h0YhqZ
Doctor Who Bluetooth Speakers $40-$100. Available in Bronze Dalek, Dalek Sec, or the TARDIS, hook your phone or iPod (do people still use those?) and have a party. They normally cost around $100 each, but the manufacturer currently has the daleks for around $40 and the TARDIS for $60. http://amzn.to/2fYtcUf
Peter Davison Autobiography – $35. Pre-order on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2gUob16 or $18 on Book Depository: http://goo.gl/oKEDaU
13 Doctors Set – $149. This set has been updated with the 12th Doctor and the War Doctcor. It mainly includes reissues of already existing Doctors but if you haven’t picked up those variants yet, it’s worth getting. Also includes the new 8th Doctor outfit. http://amzn.to/2fTh8Hs. Also available at Calendars.com: http://goo.gl/79TuDk
12th Doctor Sonic – approx. $25-$30. This screwdriver premiered in the Series 9 finale. It has a blue setting and a green setting and makes several different noises. Out of all the sonics out there, this is the one to get!! http://amzn.to/2gOADPi For local pickup, Barnes & Noble stocks these: http://goo.gl/d9BHU3
11th Doctor + Sonic Set – $13. For the price, you get an 11th Doctor 5.5″ action figure and a non-extending Sonic Screwdriver. Great stocking stuffer, especially for the value. Can be found here: http://amzn.to/2f99x8c
12th Doctor (Purple Shirt) – $15. A great stocking stuffer for the price. http://amzn.to/2fTdKwb
WHOGRAPHICA – $20. Great stocking stuffer if you like bright colors and infographics! http://amzn.to/2gTLw4O Also available at Barnes & Noble: http://goo.gl/UayPFh
Impossible Girl Set – $15. Not only do you get two 5.5″ figures for $15, the packaging on this is top notch. You get a double sided package window, with one side featuring the Doctor in his Victorian attire and Oswin Oswald shown through the eye of a Dalek. Can be found here: http://amzn.to/2g5XEwE
Have some money to spend on someone? You can get them the Time Vortex Watch by Bradford. $150. Can be found here: http://www.bradford.co.uk/drwhowatch.html
TARDIS ornament – $8-16. There are a bunch out there, but the glass blown one by Kurt Adler looks great on any tree. Amazon had these for as low as $8.50 a few weeks ago. http://amzn.to/2gaZOtH
Doctor Who Lego Set – $47-$60. A fan made idea turned this set into reality. It comes with an 11th Doctor, a 12th Doctor, Clara, 2 Daleks, and a Weeping Angel. Great gift for someone who’s a fan of Lego. If you visit the Lego store, it’s currently on sale for $47.99. Amazon: http://amzn.to/2fYontM, B&N: http://goo.gl/Ov9OK9
Doctor Who: The Whoniverse $40. The Whoniverse is this year’s Doctor Who book to own. It covers the never before seen history of the human race. What’s great about this book is that it consists of all original illustrations! – $http://amzn.to/2h64GSZ. Also available at Barnes & Noble: http://goo.gl/hWjUXV
Doctor Who Clue – $25-$40. It’s Doctor Who and it’s Clue. What’s not to love? http://amzn.to/2h2P2HL
Also, now through December 11th, all British TV is 1/2 off at Barnes & Noble, in store and online. Click here to access the sale
Continue to check the WHOlanta Facebook page for updates for deals throughout the holiday season. Facebook Group | Facebook Page
We’re very pleased to announce a new Guest for 2017: Scriptwriter JAMIE MATHIESON! Jamie has written three of the most popular episodes in the Peter Capaldi era of the show: “Mummy on the Orient Express” and “Flatline” in Series Eight, and “The Girl Who Died” in Series Nine. You’ll have plenty of chances to see Jamie all over the convention – on panels, in a Q&A, and he’ll be doing a live commentary on one of his episodes. To read more about Jamie and our other fabulous guests – including Doctor Who actors Colin Baker and Louise Jameson – head over to the Guests page. If you haven’t bought your 2017 tickets yet, you can do so on the Memberships page; or, if you need to book your hotel room, visit the Hotel page. 2017 is going to be a great year, and we look forward to seeing you there!
Come hang out with WHOlanta and a few hundred of your closest friends as we meet to watch the long lost serial Power of the Daleks, in theaters for one night only, on Monday, November 14th.
Meet us at Regal Hollywood Stadium 24, located at 3265 Northeast Expy, Chamblee, GA 30341 (1 exit north of the WHOlanta host hotel, Marriott Century Center).
We’ll have some great giveaways that you can score and you can win some great prizes in our trivia contest!
Come dressed in costume* and show off your Whovian Pride!
Screening begins at 7:00; join us at 6:30 for contests and prizes.
BUY YOUR TICKETS HERE**
Once you buy your tickets, tell us you’re coming! Power of the Daleks Facebook Event
*A few notes:
– Costumes are fine, but you cannot wear a mask or anything that covers your face
– NO WEAPONS of any kind. Do not bring any prop that can be construed as a weapon (but according to the General Manager, sonic screwdrivers are fine)
**Movie ticket required for admission. While seats available. Hurry before they sell out.
I’ve spent most of this afternoon getting the website updated to include some of the guests that have been added over the past couple of weeks. First, we have returning favorites Lee Martindale and Kathryn Sullivan, fabulous authors with an impressive body of knowledge on many topics! If you’ve been at WHOlanta the past few years, especially around the Gallifrey and Library tracks, you’ve surely met these ladies. They both have new works coming in 2017, so you’ll hear a lot about that! Also, I’m very pleased to welcome to the WHOlanta family Kaitlin Bevis, an author from Athens, GA who writes novels of modern-day stories based on Greek mythology. She’s also a big Doctor Who fan, so you’ll be seeing her all around the convention. This is her first time at WHOlanta and I know she’s looking forward to meeting all of you! Stay tuned, there’s more announcements coming!
The WHOlanta 2017 ticketing system is now live at https://register.growtix.com/e/wholanta
We are pleased to partner with GrowTix to provide you guys with a speedy and efficient ticketing service this year. Currently, weekend memberships at $45 (+ fees) through the end of the year. Children memberships for ages 6-12 are $20 and children memberships for ages 0-6 are free with a paying adult.
We’ve expanded the VIP offering this year due to popular demand. This year we are offering the High Council of Gallifrey VIP membership. For $200 ($120 for children 6-12, free for 0-6 with paying adult VIP membership), you will receive: A full weekend badge to WHOlanta, a specially designed badge, Exclusive VIP Reception with Guests of Honor, Digital Group Photo at Reception with Guests of Honor, Reserved seating in all Main Events, Convention T-Shirt, and 1 Autograph or Photograph Ticket with 1 guest of your choice at the Convention. VIP tickets are on a first come, first serve basis and once they’re gone, they’re gone.
Also live is the Marriott hotel reservation link for 2017. The 2017 room will be $99 a night plus taxes and fees. Book your hotel here. The room block does fill up so book early. You’ll have to use a credit card to reserve the room but you will not be charged until check in.
All membership sales through GrowTix have fees that are associated with GrowTix (That’s the kind of world we live in nowadays). Please note these fees come from GrowTix and WHOlanta does not receive any of the fees charged by GrowTix.
If you purchased a membership for WHOlanta 2017 at TimeGate 2016 and wish to upgrade to the VIP package, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re very proud to announce that WHOlanta is the official sponsor of Dragon Con’s BritTrack! The BritTrack covers all pop culture related fandom from the United Kingdom; from television shows (Doctor Who, Torchwood, Red Dwarf, Sherlock, Being Human, Monty Python, and etc) to music (David Bowie) to film (Hammer Horror, James Bond, etc) to literature (Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Warren Ellis, etc) to travel, if it is created in the UK the BritTrack talks about it, shares it, honors it, celebrates it, or shows it. WHOlanta is very proud to be partnering with BritTrack in an active way this year. Come visit us at our table in the BritTrack room (Athens in the Sheraton) and purchase your 2017 WHOlanta membership! See you at the Con!
We’ve regenerated! After 11 fantastic years, we’re moving into the future with a bold new identity! Much of what you’ve come to expect from us will remain the same, but we’ll also be looking at exploring new and exciting dimensions. And we’ve got some excellent guests to help us celebrate our rebirth! First up is Sixth Doctor himself, COLIN BAKER. Mr. Baker first visited us in 2013, and has become a great friend and supporter of our convention, and it seemed most appropriate for us to have him back to kick off the next phase of our convention. Joining him for her first visit to Atlanta is LOUISE JAMESON, who in 2017 will be celebrating the 40th Anniversary of her debut as Leela in 1977’s “The Face of Evil.” And that’s not all! We’ll have more fabulous Guest announcements throughout the year, so please stay tuned and join us for WHOlanta in May 2017 for what we promise will be “the trip of a lifetime”!
Hope everyone had a fantastic TimeGate 2016! Now tell us how we did. There are two different surveys you can fill out – surveys for individual panels and an overall convention survey. Each survey will redirect you to a Google Form. If you have a few minutes, please take some time to fill out both.
Panel Survey – This covers particular panels you attended. If you can’t remember the particular panel name, try to be descriptive as possible.
Overall Convention Survey – This survey covers everything from the panels to the hotel to everything else!
TimeGate 2016 is right around the corner. Here are some helpful tips and some great information to know. *This may get updated if we missed anything*
- The convention is not sold out! There are still plenty of weekend and 1 day badges available at the door.
- Once you’ve parked and entered the hotel, head immediately to registration to pick up/buy your weekend/day membership.
- Registration opens at 4 on Friday. The convention officially kicks off at 6.
- With that said, here’s what each day costs:
- Weekend badges are $65
- Friday badges are $25
- Saturday badges are $40
- Sunday badges are $30
- If you pre-ordered a t-shirt, these will be available for pickup at the TimeGate store.
- IF YOU DIDN’T PRE-ORDER your t-shirt, autograph ticket, or photograph ticket. these will all be sold at the TimeGate store, located right outside Main Programming.
- If you pre-ordered your autograph or photographs, pick up your tickets at the TimeGate store. When it’s time for your autograph or photograph session, head to the Centennial D.
- There are no assigned times to choose from this year for autographs and photographs. You are free to choose whatever time works for you based on the schedule that’s posted (i.e. so if Paul McGann is signing at noon on both Saturday and Sunday, you can go to either one).
- The photos from the photo session will be printed on site. Give a few hours after your session to pick up your photos. This should give you plenty of time to have the guest sign your photo.
- Are you a TimeGate Immortal Member? Then you get to hang out with the guests at your own private reception on Friday at 6:30 PM in Main Programming. You also get front row seating at all panels in Main Programming.
- The VIP reception will take place in Main Programming and allows you to rub elbows with this year’s guests. This takes place at 7 PM on Friday. We still have some tickets available, so if you want to attend, you can buy your ticket at the TimeGate store.
- No flash photography is allowed at the reception.
- The Marriott Century Center still has rooms available. You can call the hotel to see if you can get the TimeGate room rate of $94 but technically our room rate closed on May 13th.
- The hotel has quiet hours starting at 10 PM in the main lobby, so try and keep it down. But back in the programming rooms? Be as loud as you want (not really, but you get the idea).
- There is free onsite parking for the con. If the lot fills up, overflow parking is available across the street at the office complex.
- There will be program books available at registration. There will also be a digital copy linked to the app.
- There’s an app! It’s been submitted to the Apple App Store, Google Play, and the Windows Phone store. Updates will be available throughout the entire weekend.
- The schedule will be printed out and on display at the Information Services desk. Any updates to the schedule will be posted there.
- Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter all weekend. Also share your photos with us during and after the con.
- Use #TimeGate2016 whenever you reference us on social media!
- Make sure you’re following us on Twitter because we may live stream some of the con!
- MarksterCon’s Time Lord Party III is for ages 18+.
- We do have a Kids Track that has programming schedule throughout the weekend. Definitely go check them out. They’ve got some fun stuff planned!
- TimeGate has a ConSuite. What does that mean? If you are feeling peckish and don’t want to leave the hotel for a snack, visit room 1508 and grab a quick bite. Hotel Rules: The hotel does not want any food from the con suite on the first floor. They’re being extremely gracious by letting us have a con suite, so let’s not push our luck with the hotel.
- The hotel restaurant will be selling Grab n Go lunches in case you don’t have time between panels to have a sit down meal.
- Have a question? Head to Information Services. They’re located right off the main hallway on your way to the two video rooms. Can’t miss ’em.
- The Masquerade and Cabaret are both on Saturday this year.
- Sign up sheets for the Masquerade are available at the Information Services desk.
- The Cabaret is on Saturday night. Like always, admission to the cabaret is $5 and all proceeds go to charity. This event is rated PG but we can’t always control the actors so a bad word may slip out every once in a while.
- Gallifrey Game Night on Saturday night is for the 21 and older crowd (sorry kiddos):
- Gallifrey Game Night – Similar to Hollywood game night, but on Gallifrey – and with our celebrity guests.
- We have two new games running during the convention:
- The BBC Quiz Show will be Saturday from 11:30AM-12:30 PM in the back half of Main Programming.
- The “Find the Doctor! Choose Your Own Adventure Game” will start at 2PM on Saturday in Decatur 1.
- There is a wrap up panel on Sunday at 6. Tell us how we did. Shower me with praise. There will also be a few announcements that you’ll be the first to hear!
- Remember to have fun. This is going to be a great con and we are so excited for everything planned this weekend!