Let’s kick off our 2019 announcements with a bang! We’re excited to have Doctor Who’s go-to guy for monsters and aliens, JON DAVEY, joining us next year! Jon has been a mainstay on Doctor Who, Torchwood, The Sarah Jane Adventures and Class ever since his first time stomping metal boots in the 2006 episode “Rise of the Cybermen.” Since then, he’s been Daleks, Cybermen (he played the super-creepy headless & armless Cyberman in “The Pandorica Opens”), Judoon Captains, Ood, a Dream Crab, Heavenly Host, a Whisperman, a Shadowkin, a Mire Warrior, and numerous UNIT soldiers, plus many others. He’s worked on many other shows and films and has produced around 50 music videos.
Jon will give you an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at how the on-screen magic is created in a special presentation on our Main Stage, and he has something really special in store for you in our Cabaret as well! Jon will be signing autographs and will be available for portraits with attendees. We’re very excited to welcome Jon to WHOlanta for the first time, and we’ll have more Guest announcements in the coming months.
For more info, visit our Guests page.
And that’s a wrap on WHOlanta 2018!!! We had a great time and really hope you enjoyed it too! To our longtime friends and the new faces who turned out this year, we want to thank you for coming together to discuss one of our favorite loves in life – Doctor Who.
With that said, let’s have a heart to heart. We’ve been doing this con since 2005 when it was just a 1 day event in an Elks Lodge in Tucker, GA. It takes a lot of work to put these things together and we love doing it for you guys each and every year. And that’s still going to be the case next year! We’ll be right back at the Hilton Atlanta Airport on May 3-5, 2019.
For 2020 and beyond? Well, we can’t really say right now. This convention has been part of our lives for so many years now that it’s very difficult to give up. But at least for 2020, we’re going to take a little break. We all want to pursue different endeavors where running a convention is hard to juggle with other things.
So brave heart, Tegen. Next year is going to be amazing. If it’s the last one, let’s go out in a blaze of glory. If we come back to it in a few years, we’ll call it a family reunion. Because that’s what all of you are to us.
Pre-reg will open up in a few days. In the meantime, never be cruel, and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.
Until next year.
Susan & Alan
To pay for parking:
- Insert the ticket you pulled when you first got to the hotel. This should display the normal hotel day rate.
- Insert the ticket you got from the hotel/registration/info services. This will discount the normal day rate to $5.
- Pay with cash or card.
If you have any issues, reach out to the hotel directly by pushing the silver button on the lower right hand side of the machine that says “Call.”
WHOlanta 2018 is right around the corner. Here are some helpful tips and some great information to know. *This may get updated if we missed anything*
- The convention is not sold out! There are still plenty of weekend and 1 day badges available at the door.
- Once you’ve parked and entered the hotel, head immediately to registration to pick up/buy your weekend/day membership.
- If you park on the back side of the hotel, take the escalator up to the main lobby, walk to the front doors (but don’t go out them!) and swing a left around the concierge stand.
- Registration opens at 4PM on Friday. The convention officially kicks off at 6PM with Opening Ceremonies.
- Registration Hours:
- Fri., 4:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Sat., 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Sun., 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- With that said, here’s what each day costs:
- Weekend badges are $65
- Friday badges are $25
- Saturday badges are $40
- Sunday badges are $30
- Child 6-12 Weekend badges are $20
- Child 0-5 are free.
- If you pre-ordered a t-shirt, these will be available for pickup at the WHOlanta store.
- IF YOU DIDN’T PRE-ORDER your t-shirt, these will all be sold at the WHOlanta store, located right outside of the Dealers Hall in the Main Atrium.
- WHOlanta store hours are below:
- Fri., 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Sat., 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Sun., 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Autograph or photographs can be purchased at the WHOlanta store. Look at the times available for each session (either via the app or the poster on the wall)
- When it’s time for your autograph, head to the back of the Dealers Room.
- When it’s time for you photo op, head to the Alltoona room.
- There are no assigned times to choose from this year for autographs and photographs. You are free to choose whatever time works for you based on the schedule that’s posted (i.e. so if Louise is signing at noon on both Saturday and Sunday, you can go to either one).
- The photos from the photo session will be printed on site. Give a few hours after your session to pick up your photos. This should give you plenty of time if you wanted your photo autographed.
- Speaking of photos, our photographer this year is Nikki Rau-Baker from Geek Behind the Lens. In addition to taking your photo with the guest, Nikki is also offering cosplay photo shoots.
- Cosplay photos are $15 per session – this will include 4-6 shutter clicks per session to give the attendee a variety of poses to choose from. One pose will be chosen, edited, and printed.
- Sessions are limited to 3 people for best quality of poses.
- The $15 price includes one (1) 8×10 print
- Additional prints may be purchased for $10 for first print, $7 for any print after that.
- High-res JPG can be added on for $10
- Payment can be made via cash or credit
- Dealers Room hours:
- Fri., 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Sat., 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Sun., 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Need to know where something is? Need to see a giant schedule? Need help with anything? Stop by Information Services.
- Fri., 4:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Sat., 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Sun., 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- The Immortal & VIP reception will take place in Main Programming and allows you to rub elbows with this year’s guests. This takes place at 7 PM on Friday with Immortals gaining early access at 7:30 PM. We still have some tickets available, so if you want to attend, you can buy your ticket at the WHOlanta store.
- No flash photography is allowed at the reception.
- A group photo will be taken near the end of the reception and will be emailed to all attendees.
- The Hilton Atlanta Airport is sold out of the WHOlanta room block. You can call the hotel to see if there are any rooms available at the full rate.
- There is a parking fee at this hotel. Normally the day rate is $19. WHOlanta attendees pay $5 a day for parking.
- Are you:
- Staying at the hotel?
If so, the $5 rate will be applied to your room bill. Just let the front desk know you have a car onsite and that you are with the convention. Because you are staying at the hotel, you will have unlimited in and out privileges.
- Driving to the hotel daily?If so, grab your parking ticket and park as you normally would. Sometime during the day, grab a ticket voucher from either the Concierge stand, Registration, or Information Services. When you leave the con, drive up to the exit gate. FIRST insert your parking ticket you got when you arrived. THEN insert the discount parking voucher you got at the con. This will take the cost to $5. From there, pay with either cash or credit card. NOTE: You do not have in and out privileges. If you leave for dinner and come back, you’ll have to pay $5 each time you leave (meaning grabbing 2 ticket vouchers). If you are driving all 3 days to the con, you will need to get a voucher each day.
- There will be program books available at registration. There will also be a digital copy linked to the app.
- There’s an app for your mobile device! It’s available in the Gather App in the Apple App Store and in Google Play (search “Gather Growtix”. This is where the most up to date schedule will be. Updates will be available throughout the entire weekend.
- Note the app is designed to work with the most recent updates on your phone so make sure you’re running the most current or near current software. I can’t promise the app will work on your iPhone 2.
- The schedule will be printed out and on display at the Information Services desk. Any updates to the schedule will be posted there.
- Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram all weekend. Also share your photos with us during and after the con.
- Use #WHOlanta2018 whenever you reference us on social media!
- Make sure you’re following us on Twitter because we may live stream some of the con!
- We will have a WHOlanta Facebook Frame that you can use on your profile photo. You can also take a photo with your camera with this same frame. More info coming soon.
- We do have a Kids Track that has programming scheduled on Saturday and Sunday. Definitely go check them out. They’ve got some fun stuff planned!
- WHOlanta has a ConSuite. What does that mean? If you are feeling peckish and don’t want to leave the hotel for a snack, visit room 1502 and grab a quick bite. Hotel Rules: The hotel does not want any food from the con suite on the first floor. They’re being extremely gracious by letting us have a con suite, so let’s not push our luck with the hotel.
- The hotel has a 24 hour Grab n Go area by the front desk.
- The hotel will also have grab and go meals in the main atrium in case you don’t have time between panels to have a sit down meal.
- Saturday – They will have breakfast, lunch, and dinner available for purchase.
- Sunday – They will have breakfast and lunch available.
- There will be a cash bar in the atrium.
- Have a question? Head to Information Services. They’re located right off the main hallway on your way to the two video rooms. Can’t miss ’em.
- The Masquerade and Cabaret are both on Saturday this year.
- Sign up sheets for the Masquerade are available online
- The Cabaret & Masquerade is on Saturday night. Like always, admission to the cabaret is $5 and all proceeds go to charity. This event is rated PG but we can’t always control the actors so a bad word may slip out every once in a while.
- Our dance this year is in the Main Atrium
- Cosplay encouraged but dress in what makes you comfortable (not that comfortable though.)
- Open to all ages. Those under 12 need a parent or guardian.
- There is a wrap up panel on Sunday at 6. Tell us how we did. Shower me with praise. We’ll also raffle off some prizes.
- Remember to have fun. This is going to be a great con and we are so excited for everything planned this weekend!
- Autographs – $35
- Photo Op – $35
- Photo Op + Digital – $45
To purchase an autograph or a photo op, visit the WHOlanta store and buy a ticket, located right outside the Dealers Room in the Main Atrium. Once you purchase your ticket, find a scheduled photo op or autograph session time and go to it.
- Autographs will be in the back of the Dealers Room
- Photo Ops will take place in Allatoona.
- Photo ops will be printed onsite within a few hours of your session.
||Louse Jameson Q&A
||Louise Jameson Q&A
We have two new, limited edition items for sale at the WHOlanta store this year.
Item #1 is a WHOlanta tote bag. These are limited to 100 pieces and will be $3.
Item #2 is a WHOlanta pin. This year’s pin features the WHOlanta logo inside the TARDIS. These are also limited to 100 pieces and will be $8 at the WHOlanta store.
Both items will be limited to 2 per person on Friday and Saturday. On Sunday, buy as many as you want.
It’s something we hate having to announce, especially this close to the con, but we’ve got to do it.
Director Rachel Talalay has had to cancel her appearance at WHOlanta 2018 due to work commitments. She tried her best to rearrange her schedule to come to the con but unfortunately was unable to make it work.
It happens sometimes, especially when you’re an in demand director. We wish her nothing but the best and hopefully you’ll get to see her next year!
The WHOlanta app via Gather is now live.
The app allows you to create your own schedule as well as (hopefully) answer any questions you have while at the con. This is also the place to get the most up to date schedule info while at the con. If you enable “push notifications,” we can also send you any changes that might happen during the weekend.
Download instructions are below!
Note, while the main schedule is pretty finalized, I will be making edits to the app throughout the week, so things may change. To see changes, click the “Reload Data” button on the side menu.
One error that is know is for iOS users. The Vendors area will crash when you click on any of the vendors to see more info. This has been forwarded to GrowTix to look into. A list of vendors will be added to the “News” section to offset this inconvenience.
Also note, the app can be found in both the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store and should download to your mobile phone with no issues. There doesn’t appear to be an iPad version of the app, so if you want to use that, I suggest Googling “Gather Growtix” on your iPad and the search result should allow you to download a scaled down version of the app for your iPad.
If you see an error in the app, email firstname.lastname@example.org
WHOlanta is happy to partner with Legion M, the world’s first FAN-OWNED entertainment company, to create a meet-up for David Tennant’s newest movie “Bad Samaritan,” in theaters May 4. Lucky for us, the movie has a soft opening on Thursday, May 3rd and that’s when we’re planning on having a viewing party. It’s the perfect kickoff event for WHOlanta 2018!
The theater location is still being determined (think North Atlanta) but Legion M will be giving away swag bags to people who RSVP in advance of the screening. RSVP your spot here:
Legion M wants as many cosplayers and fans to come out for interviews and group photos. There’s also a possibility that these things will get forwarded to David Tennant’s people, who in turn just might show it to David himself!
We should know the theater in a few days and will update this page then.
In the meantime, check out the trailer below and fill out the RSVP form!
Note, a valid movie ticket is required to enter the theater and watch the movie.
Learn more about Legion M here.
The WHOlanta commercial is now making its rounds on TV; RetroTV to be precise. Our friends at RetroTV were kind enough to make a commercial for the convention and it looks spectacular! Don’t believe us, check it out below!
And check out RetroTV at http://www.myretrotv.com/